Gardening adds years to your life and life to your years. – Unknown
When I was sipping coffee on my balcony and looking at my garden after reading the above thought, I realized from the bottom of my heart that gardening is no longer just a hobby for me but it becomes my life.
I like to take care of my little plants like my children, and I am always ready to make any effort for that.
So, whenever I see things that may hurt my garden, I put them on the priority list and keep them away from my little jungle.
Garden weed is one of them. And I hate my garden full of weeds. But the real question is How to get rid of weeds forever?
During such a time when there was a huge amount of weed was popping out from garden soil, I started removing them. But after a few days again they started growing. Then I decide to take a piece of advice from my father who is a farmer so I can permanently remove those unwanted growths.
My father advised me of multiple ways that come from his farming experience. Below in this article, I am sharing all that A-Z information and multiple ways you can apply to get rid of weed permanently.
Before that let’s get to know about what is a garden weed,
What is a garden weed?
Garden weed is nothing but a simple plant with which we usually don’t happy to have in our garden, lawns, farms, parks, walking paths, etc. Garden weeds are an unwanted plant that grows in the wrong place.
There are a variety of weed plants but few are not considered as weeds when growing for specific reasons. Few species of weed plant known as crops but a few other species are serious weeds.
Hence, we can’t define garden weed in a single line because of its totally depend on its growing condition and area.
Now let me tell you why it’s important to remove garden weeds, then we will discuss on How to get rid of weeds forever.
Why is it Important to Remove Weeds?
Somebody asked on one of the gardening forums that Does weeds are damaging my plants?
The answer is yes. Because having weeds in the garden or farm is damaging your other plants or crops. They are stealing nutrients and moisture from soil which is relatively very important for plants. So indirectly having weeds around your plant is affecting the growth of the plants in your wonderful garden.
Also, weeds in the garden are blocking sunlight, in this case, your plant will not get enough sunlight.
Below I have listed 7 reasons why it’s important to remove weeds:
- Weeds take water from soil – They take water from soil hence they grow aggressively compare to other plants.
- Weed block sunlight – Because they grow aggressively or faster than other plant, they started to block sunlight that most important for plant growing.
- Weed shares space with other plant – This is also damaging your plant because every plant in your garden expands their roots in their personal space. And when weed started to share their root space with your plant, they become stressed and unhealthy.
- All weed steals nutrients from soil – As they started taking nutrients form soil, your plant not get enough nutrition to grow.
- Weed welcomes pest – Pest use weeds for hiding and storing their eggs, which later attack on your plant.
- Weed contain symptoms of plant diseases: Sometime they carry symptoms of plant diseases which later passed to plant or crop from weed.
- Mature weed contains large number of seed: Seeds of mature weeds can spread over your garden which again cause worst weed growth in your land.
Hope you understand why it’s important to remove weeds from the garden. Now let’s understand the types of weeds before jumping to our main topic on How to get rid of weeds forever.
Types of weeds?
Before looking for any solution to remove weed, it’s necessary to understand its type because the process of permanent removal of seed majorly depends on its type.
There are three types of weeds: Annuals (complete lifecycle in one year, reproduce from seed), Biennials (Live than one year but not more than 2 years), Perennials (Lifecycle more than 2 years).
Let me tell you a few common garden weeds:
- Poison Sumac
- Curly Dock
- Plantain Plants
- Common Ragweed
- Giant Ragweed
- Hedge Bindweed
- Ground Ivy
- Stinging Nettle
- Clover Leaf
- Wild Madder
- Horsetail Weed
What kind of weeds can humans eat (Edible Weeds)?
- Wood Sorrel
- Sheep Sorrel
- Curly Dock
- Lamb’s Quarters
- Garlic Mustard
What garden weeds are poisonous (Toxic weeds)?
- Poison Hemlocks
- Water Hemlocks
- Bittersweet Nightshade
- Common Pokeweed or pokeberry
- Meadow deathcamas
“Lots of weeds are edible, but there are many dangerous exceptions,” DiTomaso said.
If you have any doubt about any plant about whether it’s edible or poisonous, then try to avoid any contact with that plant and consult an extension agent or refer to any trusted resources so you can avoid dangerous or deadly mistakes.
When to Weed? What is the best time to weed?
I use my hand mostly to weed my garden because your hands are the best tool for weeding. There are number of questions on when to weed, and I will try to answer everything.
As per my experience, the best time to weed is when weeds are very small and the soil is moist. Because in this case, it’s easy to remove those weeds by using your hand.
When weed becomes mature it carries lots of its seeds and when you pull them out of the soil, its seeds spread all over the ground.
So the best time to weed is when the soil is moist, mostly after you water your garden or after rain.
How often should I weed?
I generally prefer to weed my garden when I saw little growth of weed, mere seedling. Most of the time when I am free, I spend my free time around my plants, so whenever I notice little growth, I just pull them out using my hands. And if there is any full-grown weed then I use weeding tools (we will discuss handy weeding tools after in this blog).
The best option is don’t allow weeds to grow fully.
How do you pull weeds properly?
To pull weed successfully, first, remove soil around its root and then hold it at its stem then remove it with force. Because we removed soil around its root weed gets easily pulled out from the soil.
Do you need to pull weeds before mulching?
Yes, before mulching try to remove all the unwanted plants from the garden.
Here I covered a few important questions, I will update you with more questions when I will find any.
How to get rid of weeds forever from Garden?
Let’s see how to get rid of weeds forever step by step:
Step 1: We already discussed perfect timing for weeds and it’s nothing but after good rain or when your soil is moist.
Step 2: Have a comfortable and durable gardening glove.
Step3: Now pick up your weeding tools. (We will discuss weeding tools and their uses in this blog later)
Step4: Identify the area and weed you want to remove.
Step 5: Decide which weed you want to keep and which you want to pull out because there are few edible weeds, maybe you want to keep them.
Step 6: Once you identify and decide, start weeding.
Step7: First remove the soil around the root of the weed, it will lose roots.
Step 8: Grab its main root as much as possible with your hand or weeding tool.
Step 9: Pull the weed with your hand. If you are unable to pull completely then use the weeding tool.
Step 10: Collect and dispose of weeds properly.
Note: If you unsuccessfully removed weeds and left some part in the soil then it will grow again. So, remove its full.
What are the garden weed control methods?
Garden weed control methods are depending on the way of weeding. Below are methods for how to get rid of weeds forever:
- Hand cultivation with hoes: This is most common and easy weed control method. Hoe is mostly used ancient tool mostly used to shape soil as well as to remove garden weed. To control weed growth we need to hoe garden frequently and make sure garden soil is dry to avoid new weed germination.
- Powered cultivation with cultivators: Cultivators is machine having sharp teeth or shanks around cylinder which till the soil then stirs up as it moves over it. This arrangement also grabs the entire broad weed from its root and removes it. So, using these cultivators one can removes broad as well as smaller weeds too as it travels over them.
- Smothering with mulch: Mulching is a process in which we cover the soil with multiple ways such as grass clipping or black plastic papers to make it more favourable for plant growth. Controlling weeds using mulching is very easy and old techniques most of farmer use and it also very useful for annual weeds in gardens. Mulching prevents sunlight to reach soil surface. And hence their growth is stunted due to lack of sunlight.
- Soil Solarization: This is technique which mainly used to control pest in soil but it also helps to weed control. In this method, the soil is covered with clear plastic and heated for 4-5 weeks during the hot season of the year.
- Burning: This is old weed control method mostly used by farmers in which they simply burn the affected area.
- Chemical control with herbicides: Herbicides is also called weed killers are pesticides. To make it effective you need to follow the direction they have suggested on the product about how you can use it.
List of garden weeds hard to kill:
Bittercress, Clover, Crabgrass, Dandelion, Nutsedge, Banish Weeds, Creeping Charlie, Field Bindweed, Lambs Quarter, Canada Thistle, and Oxalis.
Home remedies for weed control:
There are number of ways already listed on google on this topic and initially, it attracted me also to try it as DIY. Here I have three best home remedies which I tried in my garden and I got rid of weed for at least a season.
- Use rough papers/old newspapers for mulching: I tried this personally, and I think it’s a genuine way to try mulching with papers, because it justifies the techniques need right! I also used dry grass and leaves with papers for mulching and results turns out very well. So defiantly it’s must try DIY recommended by me.
2. Using vinegar and salt to kill weeds: According to the United States Department of Agriculture, Vinegar is an environmentally safe way to control weeds. Also, salted water is also cheap and a good weed killer.
3. Boiling water: Take a bowl of boiling water and throw it on the required plant. It doesn’t kill weeds from its root hence they will grow again so you need to use this method frequently.
Hope you like this article. Happy Gardening!